Book Meme: Top Ten Tuesday [1] - 2015 Bookish Goals and Resolutions


Top Ten Tuesday is a book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Topics are picked each week and people share their lists with one another. To find out more and join in click here. Now onto this weeks list!

1) Set time aside to read: I've always found reading a relaxing past time and a perfect way to wind down (who else agrees?) but during exam period I tend to put it on the back burner. I want to set more time aside to read so I can remind myself to relax even during stressful moments.

2) Finish reading A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin: I am currently up to Part 2 of Book 3 in the series and am super excited to continue the adventure. As each book is quite long I typically feel the need for a break from the series after finishing each book so it has taken me a while to get where I am now. Hopefully with correct timing I can finish the series in 2015!

3) Read 5 classics: Building off the above resolution, I definitely need to expand my read classics pile and would love any suggestions for good "starter" classics or ones that you have personally enjoyed reading.

4) Read 5 non-fiction novels: I already plan to read a heap of autobiographies in 2015 (Lena Dunham, Amy Poehler, Tina Fey...) and on top of that I'd love to read some history novels on the Tudor Era (one of my favourite parts of history) so hopefully 5 non-fiction reads will be an easy one to tick of my list.

5) Keep active in the book blogging community: I have only started blogging very recently but I hope to remain active and involved next year!

6) Make some bookish friends: Whether online or in real life I would love to make some more friends that are as interested in reading as I am. Don't get me wrong plenty of my friends do read but it's not something we talk about as regularly as I'd like!

7) Organise my Goodreads account and keep it updated: I've got to go through my shelves and move some books around or delete them off my TBR list all together. My tastes have changed since I first started my account (quite a while ago, well before this blog) and I know that I'm no longer interested in reading some of the books on my virtual shelves any more.

8) Review as I read: Whether this means scheduling the posts or publishing them as I finish them, I hope to keep consistent with reviewing as soon as I finish a book or a series.

9) Read without feeling obligated: As much as I would love reading an author or publisher's books in exchange for a review I would never want reading to be a chore. I am someone who stresses out quite easily so I would never want reading to turn into a major obligation or stressful circumstance!

10) Complete the 2015 Reading Challenge: I would also love to tick off everything on the reading challenge put together by Pop Sugar. I found it on Tumblr and it looks like a super fun way to motivate myself to read more next year. You can see this list on my Memes and Challenges page.

So those are my ten bookish goals and resolutions for 2015! What are yours? Link your own post or let me know in the comments below.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging community, Shanny! If you need any help whatsoever you can send me a tweet or an email. :)

    I also want to read more classics and non-fiction! I'm currently reading Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, I'm enjoying it, but initially it is difficult to adjust to the writing. I'm also highly interested in astrophysics and that's what I want to study when I'm older, so I want to read more books on that particular subject. I also want to set more time to read as during exams it's extremely hard to find the time, but when I have my exams I'll try to set aside at least half an hour of reading time.

    I also really need to sort my Goodreads shelves out, there are probably so many books on them that I have no intention of reading anymore so I'll definitely be doing that too!

    Fantastic list and good luck with all your goals, Shanny! :D

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My TTT Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the Austen writing! When I read Pride and Prejudice I found it hard to adjust as well, but it ended up being a great read. Thanks you for your comment Kyra, really appreciate it (: I'll give you a tweet right now! xx And going to go check out your TTT post as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Resolutions!!! Welcome to the book blogging world. I followed you on GFC, if you could follow back that would be great!! Im also a newbie

    Check out my
    TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals, Shanny and good luck with them!
    As for me... I'd like to comment more on blogs, I've been slacking a lot in 2014 with that and be more persistant in the memes I participate in, yes also top ten tuesday, because I don't post every week but I'd like to. Also I want to to finish reading the Harry Potter series, I still need to read the last 3 books. Hopefully I can do it this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tori. Will check out your blog now (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Stephanie! I always love commenting on blogs so that's a great resolution. Harry Potter is such a fantastic series (I'm sure you've heard that a lot), good luck with finishing it next year - I'm sure you'll power through! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Shanny! Beautiful blog! I just seen your comment on the First Book
    Of The Year and wanted to let you know you still have today to send me a
    picture of you and your first book! I emailed you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for getting in contact with my Sheila! I've sent you an email with the photo. (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your list! #9 is a tough one for me. I ended up taking on far too many review books and it definitely impacted my enjoyment but I'm getting back on track. If you like Tina Fey's book I really enjoyed Mindy Kaling's if you haven't already read it - particularly if you've ever watched The Office. Good luck with the classic reading! I'm trying to get better at that though I'm wimping out a bit right now and am starting with children's classics I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the recommendations! I LOVE The Office and Mindy Kaling, her book is definitely on my TBR. I think starting with children's classics is a great idea, I'll probably ease into reading classics like that as well (:

    ReplyDelete